Dear NEST+M Students & Families,
November is here!
Please be sure to read this letter in its entirety as it includes an important reminder of Monday’s tour for current 5th grade families, an update on academic progress reports for all students, open school week and parent teacher conferences.
Key information about Our Week Ahead:
Monday November 2
- Parents and Families of current NEST+m 5th graders: Please join us at 8:30am in our Auditorium for a presentation and tour of NEST+m’s middle grades. All NEST+m 5th grade students and teachers will be there.
Tuesday November 3:
- Election Day/Chancellor’s Conference Day. No School for Students.
- Open houses for prospective 6th grade and 9th grade students (who are not currently enrolled at NEST+m).
- Middle Grades Open House Sessions– 8:30am, 9:30am, 10:30am, 11:30am (No registration required)
- Upper Grades Open House Sessions: 12:30, 1:30, 2:30 (No registration required)
Thursday November 5: InsideSchools will be visiting to tour and report on our school.
Friday November 6:
End of Marking Period 1. Details forthcoming regarding progress report distribution.
Open School Week, Monday November 16th through Friday November 20th.
Open School Week provides the opportunity for parents to observe our classroom learning enviornments while your child is in class. This is an opportunity to reinforce our family-school partnership and shared commitment to each child’s success.
During Open School Week Please Observe the Following Norms:
- Observe Your Child /Children Only.
- Stay for the Entire Instructional Period.
- Please do not use cell phones or other electronic devices, including cameras.
- Please do not bring food or drinks into the classroom.
- Please enter the classroom as if it’s a fishbowl, a space that you can see and enjoy but that you are on the outside of. This will enable classroom instruction and learning to proceed as usual. (Thank you in advance for honoring our request that you refrain from engaging in conversation with, your child, other students or your child’s teacher. A simple wave or smile from the back of the room is always welcomed).
Lower Grades (K-5):
Parents will have the opportunity to observe two class periods in your child’s primary classroom as well as the opportunity to observe your child during a specials class for one instructional period. Details about sign-up will be provided directly by your child’s primary classroom teacher.
Middle Grades (6-8):
Parents will have the opportunity to observe one instructional period of your child’s program between Periods 1-5 (8:20am to 12:19pm). Observations of classes are on a first come first serve basis with a limit of 5 parent observers per class.
Upper Grades (9-12):
Parents will have the opportunity to observe one instructional period of your child’s program. Observations of classes are on a first come first serve basis with a limit of 5 parent observers per class.
Parent Teacher Conferences
- Thursday November 19, 4:45pm to 7:45pm
- Friday November 20th, 12:40pm to 2:40pm (Please note: our school day will end at 11:40am)
Grade K-8 Conferences: We will be using an electronic sign-up for conference appointments to ensure that all families have the opportunity to meet with classroom teachers (K-5) and at least two core teachers (6-8). On November 6th we will send the electronic sign-up link so that you have it. On November 13th at 10am this link will go live.
Grade 9-12 conferences will take place in teacher classrooms. Sign-up will take place directly outside of each teacher’s classroom door. Parents will be seen on a first-come, first-served basis (a guide to teacher room locations will be provided on conference day).
Forthcoming Special Events:
- November 10th: NEST+m Gala and Auction hosted by PTA
- November 11th: Veteran’s Day. School closed.
A reminder of our NEST+m Cellphone and Electronics policy (posted to our NEST+m website under the (About Us/School Reports and Regulations Tab).
NEST+m Cellphone / Electronics Policy:
At NEST+m, we believe that integrating technology into the school experience provides limitless opportunities for enrichment and support. With this in mind, our goal is to empower students to use their personal technology devices responsibly, and to educate students about the impact and consequences of misuse.
- For students in grades K – 12, personal electronic devices may be used in the building before the school day begins at 8:20, and following its conclusion at 2:40.
- For students in grades 9 – 12, personal electronic devices may also be used in the cafeteria and courtyard during their designated lunch periods only. Additionally, personal electronic devices may be used in classes where the teacher has deemed it educationally appropriate.
- Personal electronic devices that are used outside of the appropriate spaces and/or times will be confiscated and secured, and will be returned at the end of the instructional day.
Thank you for your ongoing support and communication.