This Tuesday November 10th is NEST+m’s 14th Annual PTA Gala & Auction, a celebration and fundraising event that enables NEST+m faculty and staff to provide the curricular, extra-curricular and enrichment programs that make our school so special.
Parents: Thank you for supporting our school and for attending the Gala!
Wednesday November 11th: Schools are closed for Veterans Day.
Open School Week, Monday November 16th through Friday November 20th.
Parents: Open School Week provides you with the opportunity to observe your child’s learning experience in action. It also allows us to reinforce our family-school partnership and commitment to each child’s success.
During Open School Week Please Observe the Following Norms:
- Observe Your Child /Children Only.
- Stay for the Entire Instructional Period.
- Please do not use cell phones or other electronic devices including cameras.
- Please do not bring food or drinks into the classroom.
- Please enter the classroom as if it’s a fishbowl, a space for you to see and enjoy but that you are outside of. This will enable classroom instruction and learning to proceed as usual. (Thank you in advance for honoring our request that you refrain from engaging in conversation with your child, other students or your child’s teacher. A simple wave or smile will allow your child to know that you are present. Smiles are always welcomed).
Lower Grades (K-5):
Parents will have the opportunity to observe two class periods in your child’s primary classroom as well as the opportunity to observe your child during a specials class for one instructional period. Details about sign-up will be provided directly by your child’s primary classroom teacher.
Middle Grades (6-8):
Parents will have the opportunity to observe one instructional period of your child’s program between Periods 1-5 (8:20am to 12:19pm). Observations of classes are on a first come first served basis with a limit of 5 parent observers per class.
Upper Grades (9-12):
Parents will have the opportunity to observe one instructional period of your child’s program. Observations of classes are on a first come first served basis with a limit of 5 parent observers per class.
Parent Teacher Conferences
- Thursday November 19, 4:45pm to 7:45pm
- Friday November 20th, 12:40pm to 2:40pm (Please note: our school day will end at 11:32am)
Grade K-8 Conferences: As mentioned in last week’s Letter, we will be using an electronic sign-up for conference appointments to ensure that all families have the opportunity to meet with classroom teachers (K-5) and at least two core teachers (6-8).
Grade 9-12 conferences will take place in teacher classrooms. Sign-up will take place directly outside of each teacher’s classroom door. Parents will be seen on a first-come, first-served basis (a guide to teacher room locations will be provided on conference day).
Assessment Calendar: Please click here: AssessmentCalendar2016 to view the NYCDOE Assessment Calendar which provides an overview of the standardized Assessments that will take place January to June 2016.
A Message About School Safety: Please click here: GRP_ParentLetter to view a letter regarding school safety procedures provided to all NYC Public Schools. In addition, please know that if students and families are ever concerned about safety while near but off school grounds, we recommend that you enter the NY Public Library on Houston and Columbia or a nearby storefront. Storefronts that are particularly focused on safety may feature a “Safe Haven” sign.
Thank you for your ongoing support and communication.