Dear NEST+m Students & Families,
This Monday, December 14th, students in our K-12 community have the opportunity to learn from and with each other as NEST+m’s upper grades wind ensemble and jazz bands, led by Mr. James Trybendis, will be performing for K-5 students during our lower grades student assemblies.
Monday also features a celebration of our minds, bodies, collaboration and coordination as NEST+m’s annual Teacher vs. Student Volleyball Games take place for students in grades 6-12.
- Grades 6 to 8: Period 7
- Grades 9 & 10: Period 3
- Grades 11 & 12: Period 5
Over the past week, academically rigorous, experiential, collaborative learning opportunities have occurred in a variety of forms:
- As middle grades actors, led by Ms. Jillian Fletcher, took the stage in There’s A Little Ambiguity Over There Among The Bluebells.
- As upper grades computer science students, led by Ms. Margaret Tanzosh, participated in the AYC Hackathon, winning first place in the advanced category.
- As NEST+m Chess players, led by Coach Ana Izoria, traveled to Orlando Florida for Chess Nationals and returned with three top finishes:
o The NEST+m 12th Grade Team Finished 4th
o The NEST+m 11th Grade Team Finished 3rd
o The NEST+m 10th Grade Team Finished 6th
- As lower grades students, led by Ms. Michaela Harel, traveled to Carnegie Hall for a field trip filled with song.
Staffing Update: The NEST+m community extends best wishes to Mr. Olvin Caba who has accepted a teaching position in a suburban school district and is transitioning this week. Mr. Caba’s French and Spanish classes will be led by experienced language teachers who have been matched to us through the NYC Department of Education.
Winter Recess: December 24- January 1. School Resumes: January 4.
With Winter Recess around the corner, please see the NYC Reads website for grade-specific recommended reading lists that will allow everyone in our school community (students, teachers, staff, family members) to make every day a day of reading: http://schools.nyc.gov/academics/nycreads365
As Previously Announced:
- The Big Apple Awards: Recognizing Teacher Excellence in New York City
“The Big Apple Awards celebrates and recognizes teachers who inspire students, model great teaching, and enrich their school community.”
To nominate a teacher or for more information, see:
The nomination deadline is Monday, January 18, 2016
- Support our NEST+m PSAL Athletes! NEST+m students and families are invited to watch a home game. The NEST+m PSAL calendar is here: http://www.psal.org/events-and-standings/school-calendar.aspx?schid=01538#
Thank you for your ongoing support and communication.