Dear NEST+m Students and Families,
Thank you for making last week’s Parent Teacher Conferences a great success.
Among the highlights of our week ahead:
- Grades 3-8 State Testing (ELA)
- The 5th Grade Art Exhibit at Spoke Art
- Upper Grades Theatrical Performance, Peter & The Starcatcher
- Final Call for completing the NYC School Survey—100% participation is our goal!
NYC School Survey
Every year, parents, teachers and students in grades 6-12 take the NYC School Survey. This is a vital feedback opportunity for our school. Your voice matters! Please complete your NYC School Survey before Friday’s March 31 deadline. Your survey can be completed here: http://schools.nyc.gov/Accountability/tools/survey/default
Grades 3-8 State Testing
The NYC DOE will administer the New York State (NYS) grades 3–8 English Language Arts (ELA) and mathematics exams on March 28–30 and May 2–4, respectively.
- Please encourage your children to have a good night sleep and to eat well in the morning.
- Snacks including candy will not be allowed into testing locations (of particular import to Grades 6-8 students)
- Please encourage students to bring 1-2 books to read when they have completed their assessments
- For more information, see:
Know Your Rights
New York City students have the right to attend public schools regardless of immigration or other protected status. Please see the important letters and Frequently Asked Questions from the NYC Department of Education & the Mayor’s Office of Immigrant Affairs that were distributed via Mailchimp this past week and are posted under “General Announcements” on the NEST+mk12 website.
Know Your Rights Part 2
Students in Grades 10-12 who leave campus with parental permission for lunch are advised to always have their School ID & a copy of their student program with them. Having one’s ID is always advised as it is necessary for swiping in/out of our building. It is also essential should a student be stopped by the NYPD Truancy Task Force while offsite during lunch. For more information about your rights should you be stopped by NYPD, please see this source or other credible sources: https://www.aclu.org/know-your-rights/what-do-if-youre-stopped-police-immigration-agents-or-fbi
Chess Team Wins!
Congratulations to the NEST+m Chess Team and special thank you to NEST+m teacher and Coach Ana Izoria. During this month’s NYS State Chess Championship in Saratoga Springs, NEST+m’s chess team had great success:
- K-1 Championship: 4th place
- K-3 Championship: 2nd Place Team
- Romir Mukherjee came in 3rd Place individually
- Dylan Ma was 4th place individually
- Elementary Reserve Team: 7th Place
- High School Team: 3rd Place
For more information, see: https://www.chesskid.com/article/view/path-to-nyc-championship
Our Week Ahead
- Tuesday March 28, 2017
- Grades 3-8 ELA State Testing (Day 1)
- Wednesday March 29, 2017
- Grades 3-8 ELA State Testing (Day 2)
- Thursday March 30, 2017
- Grades 3-8 ELA State Testing (Day 3)
- 5th Grade Art Exhibit at Spoke Art NYC Gallery, 4:30pm – 6:30pm, 210 Rivington Street
- Peter & The Starcatcher, NEST+m Auditorium, 6PM—8pm
- Friday March 31, 2017
- Peter & The Starcatcher, NEST+m Auditorium, 7PM—9pm