Dear NEST+m Students and Families,
Thank you to all of the students and families whose artistry and support enabled the 5th Grade Art Show & Upper Grades Theatrical performance of Peter and the Starcatcher to be such wonderful moments within our K-12 community.
As we enter this first week of April and the 5-day instructional week prior to Spring Break, please know that Friday April 7th will be a K-12 Spirit Day. Students and Faculty are encouraged to wear NEST+m gear or clothing aligned with our school colors, clubs and activities. Thank you to the NEST+m PTA for generating a wonderful range of NEST+m Spirit wear and for staffing the school store outside of our Auditorium.
Weather permitting our annual K-12 photo shoot will take place at the start of day on Friday.
Families: Have you taken the NYC School Survey? As you have likely heard, the DOE School Survey will remain open through Friday April 7. We need your voice to help us understand what is going well for your child or children and what we can improve upon to enhance their learning experience. Please complete your survey today: http://schools.nyc.gov/Accountability/tools/survey/default.htm
As you know, NYC schools will be closed for Spring Recess, Monday April 10th through Tuesday April 18th. School resumes on Wednesday April 19th.
Please see below for updates from our K-12 school community.
Thank you for your ongoing support and communication.
Updates from NEST+m’s Lower Grades (K-5)
- 4th Grade Alvin Ailey Dance Performance will be Thursday, April 6th at 9:25am.
- Third grade students will be attending the performance.
- Parents are also invited to attend.
- Earth Day Celebrations at NEST+m will be Monday, April 24th
- Please send in a plain white t-shirt this week with your child’s name on it so students can decorate to wear for Earth Day.
Updates from NEST+m’s Middle Grades (6-8)
Thank you to the NEST+m families and community for supporting our students last week during the New York State Grades 6–8 Common Core ELA Tests. Congratulations to the students for completing these assessments.
Updates from NEST+m’s Upper Grades (9-12)
On Saturday March 25th, NEST+m’s Model United Nations Club members attended LABMUNC 2017 (The Lab School’s Model UN Conference). Two of our students, Zach Everett and Claudia Couto, were awarded Outstanding Delegates for their great work at the conference. A shout-out to Club President Kayla Ostrow, Faculty Advisor Rob Curry-Smithson, and all of our NEST+m Model UN Team members for their terrific work.
This past Thursday and Friday, English Faculty member, Sierra Penrod, hosted a Poetry Slam in our NEST+m library after school to showcase her students hard work and poetic talents.Students crafted and performed poems ranging from Spoken word, to Sonnets and Odes.
Upcoming Events Grades 9-12:
- Wednesday, April 5
- SAT School Day
- All 11th Grade students will be taking the SAT at NEST+m.
- 11th Grade students must arrive to school by 8am with their test ticket, school ID, calculator (graphing or scientific) and number 2 pencils.
- 11th Grade students are encouraged to bring bottled water and snacks which may be eaten during scheduled breaks in the exam administration.
- All 11th Grade students will eat lunch 7th period.
- 9th Grade Community Building and Film Screening
- Periods 1-5 (Auditorium)
- SAT School Day
- Thursday, April 6
- Town Hall Assembly for 12th Grade Students only
- Period 5 (Auditorium).
- Wednesday April 19th
- Upper Grades Teachers will facilitate AP Exam Pre-Exam preparation. More details forthcoming.
Support NEST+m’s PSAL Varsity Athletes!
- 4/3 – Girls Fencing @ Stuyvesant @ 4:30pm
- 4/4 – Girls Softball vs. Murry Bergtraum @ East River Park 8
- 4/5 – Girls Fencing vs. Millennium HS @ 4:30pm
Please check the PSAL website for any schedule updates or changes: http://www.psal.org/profiles/school-profile.aspx#01538