Dear NEST+m Students & Families,
Thank you to every NEST+m student, family and community member for supporting our students and ensuring that we have a strong academic finish to our 2016-2017 school year!
This week features many special events. Please note that Thursday June 8th is “Anniversary Day.” Students are not in attendance for all NYC Department of Education schools.
Monday, June 5th, at 5:30 pm
- Our Upper Grades Orientation for incoming 9th / 10th Grade students (School Year 2017-18) is this Monday 6/5 from 5:30pm – 7:00pm in the auditorium. We look forward to welcoming new and returning NEST+m students and families into our school community. Please note, this event is for both new to NEST+m families and our current 8th Grade families that will be returning to NEST+m for Grade 9.
Tuesday, June 6th, at 5:30 pm
- Our Middle Grades Orientation for incoming 6th/7th Grade students (School Year 2017-18) is this Tuesday 6/6 from 5:30pm – 7:00pm in the auditorium. We look forward to welcoming new and returning NEST+m students and families into our school community. Please note, this event is for both new to NEST+m families and our current 5th Grade families that will be returning to NEST+m for Grade 6.
Also on Tuesday, June 6th, at 7:15 pm
- Author and Psychotherapist Sean Grover speaks about how parents can support the needs of adolescents navigating academics, friendships, families and identity. This event is open to all NEST+m community members.
Wednesday, June 7th & Friday June 9th at 5:30 pm
- 6th Grade Original Play Festival, NEST+m Auditorium, Free Admission.
Thank you for your ongoing support and communication.
Lower Grades Announcements
Fourth grade students will be completing the written component of the NY State Science Exam on Monday June 5th.
Middle Grades Announcements
To ensure that students have access to course-specific support beyond that which is provided within our regular instructional periods, please see the following link which specifies when academic supports for Grades 6-12 will be provided with an eye toward Summative Assessments:
Open Classroom Tutoring & Regents Review Schedule – Grades 6-12
Middle Grades Summative Assessments: (End-of-Year Projects, Papers, Final Exam Schedules, and Regents)
- ELA: Final Exam on 6/19/2017
- Math: Final Exam on 6/14/2017
- Science: Final Exam on 6/13/2017
- Social Studies: Final Exam on 6/21/2017
- Theater/Literacy: Final Project on 6/23/2017. This project has not been announced to students yet.
- World Language: Final Exams on 6/15/2017 – 6/16/2017
- ELA: Revised Paper due on 6/9/2017
- Math: Final Exam on 6/9/2017
- Science: Final Project Presentation the week of June 19th
- Social Studies: Final Exam on 6/23/2017
- World Language: Final Exams on 6/15/2017-6/16/2017
Please Review the June 2017 Regents and SLP Schedule. Passing the Regents course and corresponding exam is necessary to earn high school credit in 8th Grade. If a family makes a choice to opt-out of a Regents exam or SLP, students will not be able to earn high school credit for that course.
8th Grade families that wish to opt out of a Second Language Proficiency Exam, the final day to do so will be Tuesday, June 6th. Please complete the SLP Opt Out Request Form below: https://goo.gl/forms/shKWePGnbcy8pQp93
Regents exams are non-attendance days for students participating in the exams. Students will come in to take the exam only and then will be dismissed. 8th Grade Courses will not be in session on the following dates:
- The ELA Final exam is on 6/14/2017
Upper Grades Announcements
Our 12th Grade “Senior Trip” to Frost Valley YMCA in the Catskills was terrific. Students participated in a wide variety of outdoor activities and really enjoyed this final class bonding time together.
This week is final exams week in our Upper Grades for all Non-Regents courses.
Please Review the June 2017 Regents SLP and LOTE Schedule and note the following:
- Regents exam days are non-attendance days for Upper Grade Students. Students will come in to take the exam only and then will be dismissed from school. Students taking two exams on a single day should be prepared with food and snacks as they will have limited break time between tests.
- On Monday of this week students will receive their Regents / LOTE Exam Invitations. Any student that has signed up to take a Regents Exam to earn a better score but no longer wishes to take the Exam must notify his or her Guidance Counselor no later than Wednesday, June 7th. Outside of this extenuating circumstance, all other students enrolled in Regents courses must sit for the Regents Examination.
- Regents / SLP Opt Out Request Form: https://goo.gl/forms/shKWePGnbcy8pQp93
- Monday, June 12
- Clerical day for Lower Grades and Middle Grades students (Non Attendance Date, Grades K-8).
- This is a regular instructional day for Grades 9-12. It is the last day of instruction prior to Regents Week.
- Tuesday, June 13- Thursday June 22: Regents Week
- Wednesday June 21
- 5th Grade “Stepping Up/Graduation” Ceremony at NEST+m, 8:30am
- Thursday, June 22
- 8th Grade Stepping Up Ceremony, The Great Hall at Cooper Union, 12:30pm
- 12th Grade Graduation, The Great Hall at Cooper Union, 9:00am
- Friday, June 23
- Regents Rating Day for High schools
- Monday, June 26
- Eid al-Fitr. All schools are closed
- Tuesday, June 27
- Regular instructional day
- Wednesday, June 28
Scheduled half day. Last Day of School