Dear NEST+m Students and Families,
Please note that this is a posting of an email that originally was sent on October 15th, 2017.
Dear NEST+m Students & Families,
NEST+m teachers and faculty are committed to creating the learning experiences, within and beyond our classrooms, that enable our students to feel valued, recognized, intellectually engaged and empowered.
In one small snapshot of our shared commitment to nurturing students’ intellectual and social-emotional development —
- Author Shana Covey was on site to read to NEST+m students in Grades 2, 3 and 4 from her book Malala: A Hero for All. She returns on October 27th to read for Grades K, 1 and 5.
- The K-12 Hispanic Heritage Celebration in our Courtyard this past Thursday was a true whole-school celebration. Thank you to all who created and attended. Special thanks to musicians Maria Alsonso and Benjamin Willis, parents of one of our Kindergarten students; the NEST+m PTA; and our COSA Nancy Alba.
- The 4th grade team was recently selected by the NYC Department of Education to participate in the city’s “Scientist in Residence” program. This program will match the 4th grade team with a scientist or STEM professional from October 2017-May 2018 to co-lead a research-based STEM project with our students.
Thank you for your ongoing support and communication.
Our Week Ahead
Tuesday October 17, 2017
- 4:10pm: School Leadership Team (SLT) meeting in the Library
Wednesday October 18:
- Middle Grades Principal’s Coffee in the NEST+m Cafeteria at 8:30am. — All NEST+m families welcome — Sign-in through School Safety Desk at Courtyard entrance
- Lice Angels will be visiting for grades K-5
Thursday October 19:
- Lower Grades Principal’s Coffee in the NEST+m Cafeteria at 8:30am. — All NEST+m families welcome — Sign-in through School Safety Desk at Courtyard entrance
- Assembly for K-5: Anti-Bullying Laser Light Show by Prismatic Magic
Friday October 20
- Upper Grades Principal’s Coffee in the NEST+m Cafeteria at 8:30am. — All NEST+m families welcome — Sign-in through School Safety Desk at Courtyard entrance
- Family Friday for Grades K-2, 8:30 am – Family Fridays give you an opportunity to visit your child’s classroom during a lesson. Please wait in the lobby.
- Election Day – Day of Learning – no school for students
November 9th and 10th
- Save the Date for Parent Teacher Conferences, November 9th (evening) and November 10th (afternoon). More details forthcoming.
Please see below for interesting opportunities for NEST+m students
Kaplan Test Prep
NEST+m has a partnership with Kaplan Test Prep. Kaplan is offering a SAT and ACT Combo Test at NEST+m on Tuesday, October 24th from 3:00 – 7:35pm. This is a great opportunity for students to be exposed to both exams. Please click here to register. Kaplan is also offering a SAT Prep Course in preparation for the March SAT and a Prep Course for the April ACT. Please click here for additional information regarding dates and times and to register. Please note students must register at least 10 days prior to the start date of the course.
There are community service opportunities available for 11th and 12th graders with the SONYC after-school program at NEST+m. Please email Scott Percelay at email@example.com or stop by room 257 if interested.
NYU School of Medicine STEP Program
Is your child a 10th or 11th grader interested in science education, SAT prep, or health professions? The STEP Program at the New York University School of Medicine has begun actively accepting New York State 10th and 11th grade high school students into their program.
Deadline: November 15, 2017 — click here for more information.
Halloween Teen Night at the Whitney Museum
Save the date! On Friday, October 27th from 5-7:30 pm, New York City teens are invited to Halloween Teen Night at the Whitney. Join Youth Insights Leaders and artist Ephraim Asili for a night of spooky jams, dancing, costume making, tarot card readings, snacks, and more. Refreshments and art materials are provided.
Free for teens. No RSVP required—bring a friend!
Questions? Contact Teen Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org. Learn more about teen programs at whitney.org.
Born and Raised Scholarship
The Law Offices of Ivan M. Diamond just announced the winner of their annual Born and Raised Scholarship: none other than recent NEST+m graduate, Kiana Jackson! Congratulations to Kiana! The firm is currently accepting applications for the 2018 Born and Raised Scholarship, which is open to NYC seniors in high school who plan to continue their education in the city.