Dear NEST+m Students and Families,
This is Spirit Week!
As previously announced, students are welcome to wear festive attire aligned with the following themes:
- Monday: Wacky Tacky/Denim Day
- Tuesday: Dress Like a Tourist Day
- Wednesday: Halloween
- Thursday: Pajama Day
- Friday: Multiples Day
As always students are prohibited from bringing anything sharp including fake weapons. Students are also prohibited from wearing masks, sunglasses, attire that attacks the dignity of others or disrupts the educational process.
Please note that there will be a rapid dismissal on Wednesday October 31, 2018: No after-school activities including After3 and SONYC.
In addition to the positive, optimistic and upbeat nature of Spirit Week, please join me by speaking at home and with your family about one of NEST+m’s core values: Inclusivity.
Now more than ever we must ensure that every NEST+m student, family, teacher and faculty member is seen, valued and cared for.
It is our work, together, to take an explicit stance that celebrates the diversity within our school community while explicitly declaring our opposition to bias of any kind.
How to do this? First: Make it public. Let our students and families know that we are an anti-racist, anti-homophobic, anti-bias school community that values and celebrates the diverse lived experiences of our students, families teachers and faculty.
Next: It is our job together to ensure that students are upholding our expectations of kindness and Respect for All.
The following resources have been shared with NEST+m’s Teachers and Faculty. I am writing to share them with you too.
- Respect For All: NYC DOE Anti-Bullying Framework
- Teaching Tolerance: Diversity, Equity & Justice
- GLSEN: Championing LGBTQ issues in schools since 1990
- The Trevor Project: providing crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer & questioning youth.
- Facing History & Ourselves: Professional Learning organization dedicated to “engaging students of diverse backgrounds in an examination of racism, prejudice and antisemitism in order to promote the development of a more humane and informed citizenry.”
- Rethinking Schools
- And more…
Together we create NEST+m each day.
Thank you for your ongoing support and communication.
- Election Day: Tuesday November 6th is Election Day. No school for students.
- Veterans Day: Schools are closed Monday November 12th in observance of Veteran’s Day.
- Term 1 Marking Period 1 ends on Wednesday November 14th.
- Save the Date: Parent Teacher Conferences are:
– Thursday November 29th – 4:45pm – 7:45 pm – Rapid dismissal, no After3 or SONYC programs in session
– Friday November 30th – 12:40pm – 2:40pm (dismissal at 11:30am; no After3 or SONYC programs in session