Dear NEST+m Students & Families,
We were thrilled to see you last week for the start of our 2019-20 school year.
This year our K-12 schoolwide commitment to Knowing Every Child Well will enable us to have a specific focus on Emotional Intelligence and the development of Social Emotional Competencies (SEL) across our K-12 school community.
In alignment with DOE priorities, our K-5 team’s SEL practices will be centered upon the resources provided via Sanford Harmony. This is a new curriculum for our school; we are excited to learn and implement these practices.
Our Grades 6-12 Teams will develop learning experiences aligned with Restorative Circles and the types of practices created by the Morningside Center for Teaching Social Responsibility.
At a time when each of us wants to feel Valued and Connected, Energized and Proud, Optimistic and Balanced, I am writing to ask that you join me by renewing your commitment to the Department of Education’s Respect for All Anti-Bullying initiative.
At NEST+m we pledge to:
- Respect Ourselves (Self Awareness and Self-Management)
- Respect Each Other (Social Awareness and Relationship Skills)
- Respect the NEST+m Community (Responsible Decision Making)
Respect for All begins with each of us. How might you teach into this and reinforce these schoolwide expectations at home?
Here are some resources to support your understanding of policies within NEST+m and across the NYC Department of Education.
- NYC Department of Education Respect for All: Fostering Anti-Bullying Practices
- NYC Department of Education Citywide Behavior Expectations & Discipline Code
- NYC Department of Education Student Bill of Rights
Thank you for your ongoing support and communication,
Coming Up This Week
- Monday, September 9, 8:30-9:30am: Class 6A Phillips: Parent/Guardian Orientation
- Tuesday, September 10, 8:30-9:30am: Class 6B Trano: Parent/Guardian Orientation
- Wednesday, September 11, 8:30-9:30am: Class 6C Fletcher/Sullivan: Parent/Guardian Orientation
- Thursday, September 12, 8:30-9:30am: Class 6D Diamond: Parent/Guardian Orientation
- Friday, September 12, 8:30-9:30am: Class 6E Curry Patel: Parent/Guardian Orientation
- Friday, September 12: PTA-sponsored Middle Grade & Upper Grade Welcome Back Party: More info to come soon!
Save the Date
- Saturday, September 21, 5:30-9:00pm: PTA Back to School Bash (for Grown Ups Only!)
- Thursday, September 26: K-12 Curriculum Night in the late afternoon/evening. More information is forthcoming.
- Monday, September 30 & Tuesday, October 1: School is closed for Rosh Hashanah