Dear NEST+m Students and Families,
We have five instructional days during our week ahead. Thank you for maintaining your calm and focus!
This Tuesday morning our 5th Grade students will be showcasing their talents during our annual Ballroom Dancing celebration.
Throughout this week Upper Grades Students will be presenting high level demonstrations of learning from across their classes as part of our Semester 1 “NEXPO.” Middle Grades’ NEXPO will take place during January 2020.
As always, please be mindful that the Department of Education has conflict of interest rules that are particularly important at this time of year. Please review Chancellor’s Regulation C-110 regarding Conflicts of Interest including Gifts.
- Gifts from individual students, parents and/or guardians
Individual students, parents and/or guardians may wish to make gifts to officials and employees at the end of the year and at similar occasions, such as holidays, weddings, and the birth of an official’s or employee’s child. However, discretion must be used to ensure that officials and employees do not accept gifts of value from individual children, parents, or guardians. Only those gifts that are principally sentimental in nature and of small financial value may be accepted.
- Gifts from School Classes
In addition to individual gifts, sometimes an entire school class may wish to make a gift to officials and employees at the end of the year and at similar occasions, such as holidays, weddings, and the birth of an official’s or employee’s child. Officials and employees may accept gifts from whole classes of students, their parents and/or guardians, provided that each student, parent or guardian in the class has the opportunity to sign the card or note that comes with the gift, whether or not the student, parent or guardian contributed to the cost of the gift. In addition, students, their parents and/or guardians may not be asked to contribute more than a small amount of money toward such class gifts.
Thank you for your ongoing support and communication,
The PTA has shared so many ways that we can bring some joy to our community this season! See the PTA email HERE.
- NEXPO for Upper Grades: In-class presentations from December 16-20 for Upper Grade students
- SLT Meeting: Tuesday, December 17 at 4:10pm in the Library
- Rapid Dismissal at 2:40pm: Friday, December 20 – NO afterschool programs in session.
- ❄️ Winter Recess ❄️: Monday, December 23 – Wednesday, January 1. Return to school on Thursday, January 2, 2020.
Save the Date
- 9th Grade Potluck: Friday, January 3, 7-9pm. Save the date – more info coming soon!
- Sign up for Photo Re-take: Deadline to sign up is January 10 on Cool for School website
- 6th Grade potluck: Save the date: Thursday, 16th January, 6-9 pm at Poco. 6th Grade families, let’s celebrate the new year together–stay tuned for more details.
- Faculty & Staff Talent Show: Thursday, January 16, 3:30-5:30pm in the Auditorium. Sponsored by the BSU – All are welcome!
- Photo re-take day: January 17
- Regents Exam Week: Regents week is January 21-24. There is NO SCHOOL for Upper Grades students, unless they are taking Regents exams. UG students should see their Guidance Counselor if they are unsure if they are taking Regents in January.
- UPDATE: January Clerical Day: Monday, January 27: NO SCHOOL for grades 6-12; Grades K-5 attend school.
- PTA Online Auction: Opens February 2!
- Parent Presentation on Implicit Bias: Tuesday, February 11 at 5:30pm-7:00pm
One can have it and not even know it: Implicit bias lives in surprising places! Check out these informative articles and save the date for our thought-provoking presentation right here at NEST+m by Karen Scher of Facing History & Ourselves–Mark your calendars!
- What is implicit bias?
- Peanut butter & jelly and racism