January 5, 2020
Dear NEST+m NEST+m Students & Families,
We hope you have all made a smooth transition back to school after the holiday break!
As we enter this first full week of January, this Friday is the Department of Education’s College Awareness Day.
Within our K-12 school community, college pennants are hanging in the 2nd floor outside of our Main office and in the 3rd floor Gallery Walk in celebration of College Awareness. This Friday, students are invited to join us in wearing any college related attire from their families’ undergraduate or graduate institution(s) or from another college that they admire.
Together we create NEST+m: Let’s Soar!
Friday, January 10 is the NYC Department of Education’s 🎓College Awareness Day🎓! Students are invited to wear college-related attire.
Our Week Ahead
- ➡️Mindful Parenting Workshop: By Melissa Chen, sponsored by PTA Whole Child Committee, Tuesday, January 7, 8:30-9:30am
- 10th Grade Potluck: Tuesday, January 7, 6:30-9:30pm. More info coming soon!
- ➡️Parent Presentation: Thursday, January 9th 5:00-6:30pm, NEST+m Auditorium: A Father’s Hard-Earned Lessons about Cyberbullying and Suicide, Presented by John P. Halligan, Author and Motivational Speaker; all are welcome!
- Sign up for Photo Re-take: Deadline to sign up is January 10 on Cool for School website
- 🎓NYC College Awareness Day 🎓: Friday, January 10. Follow events at #CollegeAwarenessDay #CollegeAccessforAll
- 6th Grade potluck: Save the date: Thursday, 16th January, 6-9 pm at Poco. Let’s celebrate the new year together with a drink, a bite and a hang. Stay tuned for more details.
- Faculty & Staff Talent Show: Thursday, January 16, 3:30-5:30pm in the Auditorium. Sponsored by the BSU – All are welcome!
- Photo re-take day: January 17
- Middle Grades Art & Music Festival: Thursday, January 23 Art Show @5:00pm, music concert at 6:00pm
- Martin Luther King Day: Monday, January 20 – NO SCHOOL
- Regents Exam Week: Regents week is January 21-24. There is NO SCHOOL for Upper Grades students, unless they are taking Regents exams. Students should see their Guidance Counselor if they are not sure of their Regents Exam status.
- UPDATE: January Clerical Day: Monday, January 27: NO SCHOOL for Grades 6-12; Grades K-5 attend school.
- PTA Online Auction: Opens February 2!
- ➡️Parent Presentation on Implicit Bias: Tuesday, February 11 at 5:30pm-7:00pm One can have it and not even know it: Implicit bias lives in surprising places! Check out these informative articles and save the date for our thought-provoking presentation right here at NEST+m by Karen Scher of Facing History & Ourselves–Mark your calendars!
- What is implicit bias?
- Peanut butter & jelly and racism