Dear NEST+m Students and Families,
On Friday January 10th at approximately 3:15pm, our campus went into a “Shelter-In” which lasted for approximately 25 minutes.
The Shelter-In was initiated and concluded at the directive of the NYPD School Safety Division in response to an off-site occurrence in close proximity to school grounds.
As a reminder, during a Shelter-In, all movement is halted into and out of our school building and property (courtyard) because there is a report of a safety matter in the external neighborhood.
In this instance, there was police activity at the corner of Columbia Street and Delancey Street.
When our campus is in shelter in, it is important for anyone who comes to the school to leave the streets and head to the nearest public space such as the Hamilton Fish Library at the corner of Houston Street and Columbia Street.
We will announce shelter ins with signs and electronic communication.
Our building is safe.
Over the next few weeks, we will be celebrating music within the NEST+m community.
We are hoping you will join us for one or all of the following:
- Upper Grades Winter Concert, Wednesday January 15th at 6:00pm
- Upper Grades Black Student Union presents: NEST+m Teachers & Faculty Talent Show, 3:30pm in the auditorium, Thursday January 16th
- Middle Grades Winter Concert & Art Show, Thursday January 23, 2020: Art Show at 5:00pm, Music Concert at 6:00pm
Thank you for your ongoing support and communication.
We look forward to the week ahead.
Regents Exam Week: Regents Exam week is January 21-24. There is NO SCHOOL for Upper Grades students, unless they are taking Regents exams. Students should see their Guidance Counselor if they are not sure of their Regents Exam status.
- Senior Cap & Gown Measurements: January 14, Period 3. Seniors: A representative will be in the cafeteria on January 14 during 3rd period to take your cap and gown measurements. Please make every effort to attend. If you can’t be there, see Ms.Thompson for next steps.
- Upper Grades Music Concert: Tuesday, January 15 at 6:00pm
- 6th Grade potluck: Thursday, January 16, 6-9 pm at Poco. Let’s celebrate the new year together with a drink, a bite and a hang. SEE INVITE • RSVP HERE
- ➡️🧑🏽🎤Faculty & Staff Talent Show 🎸🦅: Thursday, January 16, 3:30-5:30pm in the Auditorium. Sponsored by the BSU – All are welcome!
- Photo re-take day: January 17
- ➡️Martin Luther King Day: Monday, January 20 – NO SCHOOL
- Middle Grades Art & Music Festival: Thursday, January 23 Art Show @5:00pm, Music Concert at 6:00pm
- ➡️Regents Exam Week: Regents week is January 21-24. There is NO SCHOOL for Upper Grades students, unless they are taking Regents exams. Students should see their Guidance Counselor if they are not sure of their Regents Exam status.
- ➡️UPDATE: January Clerical Day: Monday, January 27: NO SCHOOL for Grades 6-12; Grades K-5 attend school.
- PTA Online Auction: Opens February 2!
- NEST+m Chess Tournament: February 9 LEARN MORE
- Middle Grades SONYC Program performs The Addams Family: January 30 & 31 GET TICKETS
Save the Date
- ➡️Parent Presentation on Implicit Bias: Tuesday, February 11 at 5:30pm-7:00pm One can have it and not even know it: Implicit bias lives in surprising places! Check out these informative articles and save the date for our thought-provoking presentation right here at NEST+m by Karen Scher of Facing History & Ourselves–Mark your calendars! RSVP • SEE FLYER
- What is implicit bias?
- Peanut butter & jelly and racism