All of our actions at NEST+m are governed by the DOE’s Chancellor’s Regulations. Visit the Department of Education website to view the Chancellor’s Regulations in detail.
Regulation of the Chancellor A-413 regarding Cell Phones and Other Electronic Devices
NEST+m K-12 Student Cell Phone and Personal Electronics Policy
At NEST+m, we believe that the structured integration of technology into the classroom experience can enrich and empower student learning. Our laptop carts, library media space, and computer labs allow teachers to integrate technology into instruction in ways that are meaningful and equitable for all students. Therefore, it is our expectation that student personal cell phones and electronic devices are put away at all times during classroom instruction unless a teacher provides explicit approval for their use.
Outside of the classroom, the following policies govern student use of cell phones, personal electronic devices and video games at NEST+m:
- For students in grades K – 12, personal electronic devices may be used in the building before the school day begins at 8:20am, and following its conclusion at 2:40pm. For students in grades 9 – 12, personal electronic devices may also be used in the cafeteria and outside courtyards during designated lunch periods (3 & 7) only. Cell phones are otherwise not to be on, shown, or used in the school.
- Student cell phones must be silenced upon entry into the school building and remain silenced throughout the school day. Audible speakers, audible ringtones, speakerphone, headphones and earbuds are also not permitted at any time in the school building.
- Cell phones, computing devices, and portable music and entertainment systems may not be used in locker rooms or bathrooms.
- Cell phones and electronic devices may not be turned on or used during the administration of a school quiz, test or examination except as authorized by the school, or pursuant to an Individualized Education Plan or a Section 504 accommodation plan.
- Cell phones, computing devices and portable music and entertainment systems may not be turned on or used during school fire drills or other emergency preparedness exercises.
- Use of cell phones or electronic devices for bullying, harassment or academic dishonesty (including cheating, plagiarism or unauthorized collaboration) may result in disciplinary action as specified by the New York City Department of Education Discipline Code.
- Students may not record, tape, film or photograph anywhere in the building using cell phones or other personal electronic devices unless approved by a school administrator or Faculty member. Additionally, any student being photographed or filmed within the school must provide consent for this action prior to said filming or photographing.
- Cell phones and electronic devices used in violation of our school-based policy outlined above will be confiscated. For first offenses, confiscated devices will be returned to students at the end of the school day from the office of the Dean of Students. For second and repeated offenses, a parent or guardian must come to school to retrieve the confiscated device.
- Students are responsible for the security and safety of their cell phones and /or personal electronic devices at all times while at school.
NEST+m K-12 Dress Code
As New York City’s K-12 citywide gifted and talented school, NEST+m has students who are members of a community of learners that spans from kindergartners to 12th graders. NEST+m students are expected to dress in a manner that is respectful toward our K-12 learning environment. In keeping with this philosophy, the NEST+m School Leadership Team supports the accompanying dress code (which applies to all grades, unless specifically noted):
- Students in grades K-8 are to wear a solid-colored upper garment (e.g. shirt, dress, sweater, sweatshirt) with the NEST+m insignia and/or brand.
- Closed-toe shoes (preferably with a rubber sole) must be worn by students in grades K-5.
- During Physical Education classes, students are expected to wear sneakers. In grades 6-12, during Physical Education classes, students are expected to wear an athletic t-shirt or sweatshirt, as well as athletic shorts or sweatpants.
- Clothing that degrades religion, race, or sexuality and clothing that promotes alcohol, drug use or offensive language is prohibited. Any attire that features words or images that violate the Department of Education’s Respect for All Initiative will not be permitted.
- Undergarments are not to be visible (e.g. pants are to be worn at the waist).
- Clothing may not be transparent (sheer) unless it is worn in combination with other garments that are not transparent.
- Tops and bottoms of outer garments must meet and should reasonably cover skin and not expose midriff or back. Strapless tops are not be worn.
- Skirts, shorts or other garments covering the lower body are to reach the fingertips of the extended arm.
- Religious head coverings are welcome. Headwear such as hats, visors, do-rags, bandannas and hoods worn on the head (e.g. from sweaters or sweatshirts) are prohibited.
- Students whose attire is not aligned with this dress code will be asked to speak with the Dean of Students or a member of the administrative team. The Principal or designee will make the final determination of questions of student attire. Students whose attire is not aligned with this dress code will be provided with school-issued attire.
- Read the Chancellors Regulations A-665 regarding the Department of Education’s voluntary uniform policy.
Where to buy uniforms
NEST+m uniforms can be purchased from Land’s End online as well as Cookies.
- Lands’ End
Copy and paste the NEST+m preferred school number 900062597 into the form found on the Lands’ End site through this link:
- School Business Office & PTA School Store
PTA Uniform Exchange
Gently used NEST+m logo shirts are available for $5.00 each. Stop by the PTA Office and one of our parent volunteers can assist you with purchases. You can also donate gently used shirts and receive credits towards other shirts.