Applying to NEST+m for Grades K – 3
Thank you for your interest in attending NEST+m. Each year the Department of Education receives far more qualified applicants than NEST+m has available seats for. Please read the information posted below before signing up for a tour.
Placement into Grades K – 5 at NEST+m is handled, in full, through the NYC Department of Education’s Office of Gifted and Talented Enrollment.
Historically, the NYC Department of Education’s Office of Gifted and Talented Enrollment has only offered seats to applicants with an overall G&T percentile rank in the 99th percentile (except siblings of current NEST+m students). We don’t anticipate that this will change this year. Although children who scored at or above the 97th percentile are eligible to apply to NEST+m, and their parents will see our name as an option on their applications, the chance of being offered a seat in grades K – 3 with a composite score on the G&T test of 97% or 98%, is highly unlikely. Please see the DOE website linked below for more information:
Seat Availability Fall 2016 (anticipated)
We anticipate having a total of 100 Kindergarten seats open for Fall 2016 placement: 4 classes with 25 students per class. We do not yet know how many of these seats will be taken by siblings of current students. However, in a typical year anywhere from 15 – 25 seats are taken by qualifying siblings.
We expect to have 15 seats in total for 1st grade: 5 classes with 28 students (up from 25 students in Kindergarten). Again, these seats are first taken by qualified siblings of current students. In a typical year anywhere from 3 – 8 seats are taken by siblings.
2nd & 3rd Grades
Admission into 2nd & 3rd grades is based upon student attrition. Typically anywhere from 0 – 5 seats become available in grades 2 and 3. Once again, these seats are first taken by qualified siblings of current students. Please be aware that student attrition generally occurs during the summer months, therefore we will not know how many seats are available until mid-September. The DOE places students into our open seats through October 31st. Sibling preference is also given in these grades.
Open House Information
- You are NOT required to attend an Open House in order to rank NEST+m as a choice on your G&T application; however, we encourage parents to attend in order to make an informed decision about their child’s education.
- Our daytime Open Houses includes an information session with members of our administration, faculty and current parents followed by a tour of our lower grades classrooms and facilities lead by members of the staff with help from current parents.
- Our evening Open House includes an information session with members of our administration, faculty and current parents followed by a self-guided tour of our classrooms, where current parents will be available to answer your questions.
- You will not be admitted to the Open House without a valid G&T score report indicating a composite score in the 97th, 98th, or 99th percentile.
- The Open Houses are for grown-ups only. Up to 2 adults are allowed for each applicant.
- Registration is required. Please click on the link below to register.
Kindergarten Open House Dates
Registration is required.
Wednesday April 20, 1:00 – 2:30 (Registration closed) Thursday April 21, 9:15-10:30 (Registration closed)
Thursday April 21, 5:30- 7:00
Friday April 22, 8:45- 10:00 (Registration closed)
Click here to register: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/8050b45afaa2ca64-lower2
We are located at 111 Columbia Street New York, NY 10002. Please enter the building through the courtyard on Columbia Street and continue up the ramp to the front door. You will be asked to show a picture ID and a valid G&T score report before being admitted to the Open House.
Applicants without a valid score report, will not be allowed to attend the Open House. No exceptions will be made.
Sarah Liogys, Lower Grade Admissions