Upper Grade Admissions
HOW TO APPLY TO NEST+m UPPER GRADES
Thank you for your interest in the Upper Grades at NEST+m!
As a K-12 school designed to meet the needs of students with advanced academic needs, we are committed to providing all of our students with equity-driven, accelerated instruction. We apply the principles of equity-driven accelerated learning to our Upper Grades admissions process.
Upper Grades Admissions Priorities
- Diversity in Admissions: Priority to new applicants who are eligible for Free or Reduced Lunch (FRL) for 66% of seats.
- Continuing NEST+m Students: Continuing students at NEST+m have first priority for admission to our Upper Grades program. NEST+m 8th graders that rank NEST+m on their high school application are guaranteed an offer to our Upper Grades program, so long as they do not match to a more preferred school on their application.
- Geographic Priority: There is no geographic priority for NEST+m. NEST+m is a citywide school; our students hail from all 5 boroughs.
Upper Grades Admissions Requirements are listed below.
Students who who would like to be considered for admissions to NEST+m must:
FALL 2024 ADMISSIONS
Please see our Welcome Events webpage for Tour information!
NEST+m Upper Grades is a screened high school. NEST+m is NOT a specialized high school.
All current 8th and first-time 9th grade students who live in New York City can apply to high school and test and/or audition to apply to the Specialized High Schools during the 2023-2024 school year.
The application period for Fall 2024 is October 3 - December 1, 2023. Offers will be sent out in early March 2024.
NEST+m is part of the Regular High School Admissions application in your MySchools account. Talk to your child’s current school counselor. They will be your main point of contact through the admissions process.
New to NYC Public Schools?
NEST+m Upper Grades Rubric
- 50% DOE Screened Admissions Group (Learn more about screened high school admissions.)
- 50% Score on the NEST+m Essay
- 9th Grade Total Seats: 150 (General Education: 116/Students with Disabilities: 34)
- 10th Grade: 0-5 seats; contact the Family Welcome Center to express interest in Fall 2024 10th Grade seat.
Anticipated Seats for New to NEST+m students
- General Education: 47-70
- Students with Disabilities: 22-25
Diversity in Admissions Program
Yes- Priority to students eligible for free or reduced lunch for 66% of offers.
DIA applies only to offers for non-continuing students (NEST+m 8th graders are not a part of this calculation)
Total Anticipated Offers 2023-2024
Because students can receive multiple offers (Regular HS Application, SHSAT, and LaGuardia) Offers to our UG Program exceed available seats. We anticipate:
General Education: 224 offers
Students with Disabilities: 34 offers
Total New to NEST+m Offers: 153
- Yes - waitlist offers will be made
Tour Dates (General Public)
- Visit our Welcome Events page for dates and times.
Application Dates & Links
- Application Opens: October 3rd, 2023
- Application Closed: December 1, 2023
- Essay Deadline: Saturday, December 9, 2023 at 11:59pm ET
DOE Application Portal: MySchools
Essay Submission Method: Google Form
There is no sibling priority for students applying to high school.
NEST+m is NOT AFFILIATED with the NEST Autism Spectrum Disorders Program at NYU. Please visit the NEST ASD webpage for more information.
- Visit the NYC Department of Education website’s High School Enrollment page for more information.
- Download the 2024 Admissions Guide.
- Watch this helpful video to learn how students get offers to screened schools and specialized high schools.
- Set up your MySchools account using the invitation code provided by your school’s Guidance Counselor or at the Family Welcome Center.
- Explore school options online in the MySchools high school directory
- See our NEST+m College acceptance and matriculation information.
SUBMITTING THE NEST+m ESSAY
The Essay will be submitted on a Google form. You cannot save in a Google form as you type, so we recommend typing your answers in a separate document and then copying and pasting your responses into the google form.
- All online assessment activities must be submitted by December 9, 2023 at 11:59pm ET
- Applicants may only submit the Google form one time
- Submissions that are found to be plagiarized will receive a score of zero
- Incomplete submissions will receive a low score
- You will receive a copy of your responses when you successfully submit your online admissions activity.
You will receive your child’s Upper Grades offer from the Department of Education in your MySchools account sometime in the Spring. You will be able to log into your MySchools account to see the results, and you will receive a letter by mail. Visit the Department of Education’s High School Admissions webpage to learn more.
We will post Orientation information for admitted students on the Orientation webpage.
Visit the Transportation webpage for more information. All students who do not ride the public yellow bus will be issued a student Metrocard.